Running Fast Man

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day Eleven: The Super Bowl Run-Day (its a pun, get it?)

I woke up this morning and felt different.  I kind of felt like the champion that i am training to become.  The first thing i did was use the bathroom to relieve myself of the 12-gallons of water i drank the night before in an effort to keep hydrated for today's runs.  I knew today was different, because aside from the normal burning sensation, I truly felt like it was excellence streaming out of my body.  when you train like i do, it is always best to hydrate well.  A good rule of thumb for beginners is that while you can never over-hydrate, beware of under-hydrating.

I went out for my morning run and noticed there was a sprinkle of snow on the ground.  The plan for the AM was just a 5-mile run with a 5X4X3X2X1.  What this run entails, is 15-minutes of sub-5 minute pace wedged into a non-effort clip of 5:57.  This is the exercise that Geb did exactly 92 days before he ran the 5k which preceded the half marathon which preceded the marathon that he ran before he ran the 2:03 marathon.  By my calculations, the successful implementation of this run will get me exactly 2% closer to my goal of winning the olympic trials.  Ultimately, my goal is to break 2:00 in the marathon, but even ben roethlisberger had to start somewhere.  Before he was making love to girls in bathroom stalls at night clubs, i am sure he had dry runs in bathroom stalls inside of burger kings in urban environments.

Well the run started out fantastic, I hit the first mile at 5:57 exactly.  Then like fireworks in the katy perry song i went boom at a 4:45 pace for 5:00 minutes exactly.  All of a sudden i hit an unpaved side street and noticed that my footing was slipping..  I skidded into a parked car and made the alarm go off.  I think i cracked the mirror and scratched the paintjob, but thankfully i was ok.  Who knew that when you run on snow, you cannot get the proper footing.  I got up and ran another mile at a 6:15 clip but it was too late.  I decided that the best way to take care of this would be to deduct 2:00 per mile to account for the snow, the hills, and the headwinds so i could get a better idea of what pace i was actually running.  I ran the next four minutes at a 4:55 pace, or after my calculations, 2:55 mile pace.  Wow!  I knew i was fast but i never knew i was this fast!  Amazing.   I plan on submitting these times to the US Olympic committee so they can give me money, awards and celebrity.  The next mile flew by at an easy clip of around 5:55 (or 3:55) and then i totally nailed my 3,2 & 1 at clips of 2:55, 2:54, & 2:52, respectively. Man, i am such a genious and soo fast too.  I can't wait to show these speeds off at the track when the snow clears.  overall, i finished the five and was ready to shower and go to a super bowl party.

The plan is to go to the super bowl party for the first quarter.  I will then head home to go to sleep so i can hit some good runs tomorrow morning.  Today is a success.  But tomorrow will be better.  I plan on using doing some McMillan type training....

1 comment:

  1. CH (CPT) Brian StanleyFebruary 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

    Sunday. I got it. Took me several minutes, but I finally caught on to the pun.

    ReplyDelete