Running Fast Man

Friday, January 28, 2011

Day Two, Part Two

Well, what a day at work.  I was around 10 minutes late getting there and then my boss had the audacity to yell at me for it.  I explained to him that i am a fast runner and due to my commitment to training to win the olympics, i will need worktime flexibility.  He said that he could provide me 24/7 worktime flexibility if i kept this up.  I said that i would think about it and that i appreciated his cooperation in the matter.  What a great guy!  I mean, he is willing to let me train all day every day for the sake of representing our country.  Its not like that pussy Ryan Hall or something is even remotely gonna finish close to me at the trials.  I hear that he that he totally wussed out of the Chicago Marathon.  What a wimp!  i am glad i am not like that... he deserves to be with slow people.

Anyways, after work i decided to call my old track coach Mike Smith and get his thoughts on my morning run.. He said that maybe i went too aggressive in the first mile.   What a kidder, he is always so funny!  I told him that i ran in the low 4:20s back in high school all of the time and that a 4:45 to begin a long run is probably the smartest thing i can do.  I further explained that it must have been that banana which caused the upper respiratory problems that caused my breathing to go out of whack.  well, needless to say he suggested that since this is week 1, i take it easy and put it off til next week.  I agreed.

So after i got home, i did my normal pre-run routine (PM).  I drank 2 ounces of gatorade and immediately went to the bathroom (pee for 15 seconds.. if its not finished, too bad.  the formula must be followed otherwise the workout will fail).  Ten minutes later, i cut an apple into thirds and sprinkled 2 table spoons of salt on it.  I took two bites and then peed for 15 seconds more.  Finally, i drank 4 more ounces of gatorade, finished the pee (10 seconds remaining) and was ready to put on my shoes.  In case you are wondering why i time my peeing sessions, it stems from Mr. Jack Daniels one of the greatest coaches of our time.  he said we should time stuff rather than measure it.  So that is what i do.

Tempo Run
I began the first quarter mile of the run at an easy clip of 5:40.. i shook out my legs and then hit the main street where i normally run.  There was a little snow on the ground but it is ok today.  I noticed there are more cars on the road which pisses me off.  The village knows that i train at this time every single day.  If they respected the United States, they would block the streets for me.  But anyways, i hit mile one at 5:32.  You know, SLOW!  The next two miles were solid as i was able to hit them at 5:29 and 5:28.  At this point i felt a burning sensation in my left toe.  Typically this indicates a thunderstorm.  But with no rain cloud in sight.. i knew i was in the clear.  I ran the fourth mile in 5:28 and was at that clip until the final 1/4 mile of the run.  I hit the sidewalk and was close to home when an F%**ing walker got in my way.  I yelled "TRACK"  "TRACK" a thousand  times and the idiot just stood there watching.  I asked them what the hell they were thinking just walking down the sidewalk.  The guy said he was going for a walk.  I told him about when i train and he said he was unaware.  I further explained that when a fast runner yells "TRACK" the SLOW person is to get the HELL out of THEIR way.  He said that the system was fair and that the next time he saw me he was going to pull out a gun and yell "ASSHOLE" and give me fifteen seconds to get out of his way.  What a sense of humor!  I am glad we got to an understanding. Anyways i finished the run at 27:12 for five miles.  Given the training i have been doing this is acceptable.  Albeit VERY SLOW.. i will take it when considering the asshole who got in my way and prevented me from finishing.  Go back to slow school slowy.

Well, i must go to bed as i am going to wake up early tomorrow to get a good training in.  I picked up my Boston Marathon jacket from the drycleaners earlier so i look forward to wearing it.  I usually have it dry cleaned twice a week.  Peace out hommeys.

1 comment:

  1. The rule in cycling at the track (banked 1/3 mile) is STICK if you want the person you are over taking to stay where they are. Also you only pass on the outside, but we are doing 35-42 mph in the sprint.

    ReplyDelete